High Definition (HD), Full HD and Ultra HD (UHD) are resolution standards. Resolution is defined by the number of distinct pixels that can be displayed. More pixels result in more information. Images with more pixels are therefore of a high quality.
- HD is characterized by 1,280 pixels displayed horizontally and 720 pixels displayed vertically.
- Full HD is characterized by 1,920 pixels displayed horizontally and 1,080 pixels displayed vertically.
- Ultra HD is characterized by 3840 pixels displayed horizontally and 2160 pixels displayed vertically.Today, there are two types of resolutions called Ultra HD:
- The 4K which offers a resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels
- The 8K in 7680 x 4320 pixels (still at an experimental stage.)